18.6 grams 1902 lbs

This discussion area is for basic structure building concepts. Not intended for advanced concepts.
*Good Example: Balsa can bend with the addition of boiling water.
*Good Example: Triangle is the strongest shape for most applications of bracing.
*Bad Example: Balsa can hold X pounds under these conditions.
*Bad Example: Use this shape for this application.
Basically I want you to think a design through with the basics instead of someone else thinking through your design for you.
admin
Site Admin

18.6 grams 1902 lbs

Post by admin »

Here is a first for me. 7.5 inches 3 part structure, 102.258 ratio. It would have held more if I wouldn't have pinched my fingers on the last weight. I've heard of two 100 ratios before on 1 part structures but this is a first for multi-part structures. If this were the odd pod or last years OotM problem, the tower would have passed 2000 pounds and I would need a ladder to place on the weights. Just had to share this with everyone. I just do this as a hobby and it makes my day when something actually does what it is supposed too. Hope it adds a little more motivation for everyone as to what is really possible with balsa.
Jake Zimmer
jake@specializedbalsa.com
Specialized Balsa Wood, LLC
405 8th Street SE Unit #2
Loveland, CO 80537-6491
(970) 461-WOOD (9663) Phone
(970) 461-9662 Fax
http://www.specializedbalsa.com
ajdkaiser

Please send picture

Post by ajdkaiser »

Hey!

It would be great if you could send a picture, because I'm in Odyssey and I'm doing problem 4. That would be incredible for Shockwaves, considering I could just add height. I went to Worlds last year and would really appreciate it if you could assist me to go again. It was amazing!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D [/b]
Alexis Kaiser -- 1st-time OotM Coach (or her 10-year old daughter, Marika, 4-time OotM participant, posing as her mother)
OMdrummer

Outside Assistance

Post by OMdrummer »

He or anyone may not and can not assist you in your journey through Odyssey of the Mind, that would be called outside assistance.
Kathy

picture

Post by Kathy »

Nice try, ajdkaiser! :shock:
Like the way you left all the info off your profile... :roll:
K
socceromer

Post by socceromer »

hahahah that was hilarious
Diguy145

Post by Diguy145 »

Is a three part structure like three layers? I'm confuzed...
GAOM

Post by GAOM »

yes, just like a cake.. yummy. :lol:
Diguy145

Post by Diguy145 »

So are they glued together, or just sitting one on top of the other? With pegs?
Kathy

Post by Kathy »

frosting!
Solodex

Post by Solodex »

I am a pie guy myself...I like to think of it as crust, blueberries, and more crust with filling to glue it all together.
GAOM

Post by GAOM »

Im more of a pie guy myself Nate... Apple pie being my favorite... Mmm...

But, back on topic. this will be the most OT(off topic) thread on this site ever. The funny thing is its supposed to be a simple, serious, and quite neat topic too!
Solodex

Post by Solodex »

Ok, I'll stop diverging. It doesn't surprise me that Jake hit this mark. This should shed some light on what's possible for next year's problem... Too bad that it's highly unlikely CCI will ever allow larger extensions for weights like this to be reached in competition.
Diguy145

Post by Diguy145 »

Wow, four people responded, and i still don't understand... I guess integrating delicious deserts and structures is an OM thing... I love pie... Anyone care to explain how a three part structure is "frosted" together?
Solodex

Post by Solodex »

Diguy145 wrote:Wow, four people responded, and i still don't understand... I guess integrating delicious deserts and structures is an OM thing... I love pie... Anyone care to explain how a three part structure is "frosted" together?
We are just playing around. Tommy originally respond to your 3 layers comment by saying it's just like a (3 layer) cake. It then diverged from there as our conversations normally do. None of us actually know the design except Jake, though I think most of us can postulate where it's heading. To answer your questions, you are asking the wrong questions and are thinking about the design in the wrong way.

I say no more for fear of the OA boogyman snatching up my sweet potato pies...

Return to “Bridges & Towers”