Best Balsa wood for weight to strength

This discussion area is for basic structure building concepts. Not intended for advanced concepts.
*Good Example: Balsa can bend with the addition of boiling water.
*Good Example: Triangle is the strongest shape for most applications of bracing.
*Bad Example: Balsa can hold X pounds under these conditions.
*Bad Example: Use this shape for this application.
Basically I want you to think a design through with the basics instead of someone else thinking through your design for you.
froggyman

Best Balsa wood for weight to strength

Post by froggyman »

Hello, this year I am currently in DI at my school and we are doing Challenge E.

If this question would be considered interference please let me know. I will try to be as unspecific as possible.

What weight of balsa wood would tend to have the highest weight to strength ratio in terms of compression? Does it usually go with the lighter the wood is the stronger is for its weight? Or is there some sort of "golden" weight that does best?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Each density has its own weight to strength properties. Normally bridges and towers use several densities in combination but this is your choice. Basically the towers may weigh a few paper clips in mass. Although paper clips are very strong it is impractical to hold even a few pounds in the configuration of a standard 8 inch tall tower with just paper clips. To find more about density weight to strength ratios you can do as I had to and test sticks in a compression tester such as here:

http://www.specializedbalsa.com/product ... ctions.php
Jake Zimmer
jake@specializedbalsa.com
Specialized Balsa Wood, LLC
405 8th Street SE Unit #2
Loveland, CO 80537-6491
(970) 461-WOOD (9663) Phone
(970) 461-9662 Fax
http://www.specializedbalsa.com
smileshine

Post by smileshine »

I think I should learn more about this field!
mohsin123

mohsin

Post by mohsin123 »

Although paper clips are very strong it is impractical to hold even a few pounds in the configuration of a standard 8 inch tall tower with just paper clips. To find more about density weight to strength ratios you can do as I had to and test sticks in a compression tester such as here:
Our complete set of 700-505 and Braindumps study

Return to “Bridges & Towers”