homeproductsservicesforumcontactuses
Specialized Balsa Wood -- Balsa wood discussion site / fourm for towers, bridges, structures, rc airplanes, carving surf boards, and balsa models.

Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

balsa bending

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Specialized Balsa Wood Discussion Site Forum Index -> Bridges & Towers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nmurphy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: balsa bending Reply with quote

is there anyone who knows the best way to make a balsa wood bend into a arch for a arch bridge
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Bending balsa alternatives Reply with quote

Try soaking and steaming the balsa. If that doesn't work then just use thinner balsa and laminate it together.
405 8th Street SE Unit #2
Loveland, CO 80537-6491
(970) 461-WOOD (9663) Phone
(970) 461-9662 Fax
http://www.specializedbalsa.com
nmurphy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx man i will try it and hopefully it will work
Garrett

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually steam the wood for about 30 minutes or so. I have a pre-made (just a board with nails) that is the shape of the arch I want. Actually, I usually bend the wood more than I really want it, because the wood will "unbend" somewhat after it drys. I use clothespins to hold the wood against the nails.
marwen

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timing on this comment is probably a WAY too late but nevertheless, information is where & when you get it!

Depending on the thinckness of the balsa you are attempting to "bend", the thinner stuff (as well as the thick) of course, steaming is a given, but you can actually spray some "window cleaner" onto your strips of balsa. The ammonia in it will do the work.

Spray it lightely, soak it, wipe off the excess, let it dry a little. Depending on the adhesive you use, the moisture content is also ian mportant factor.

marwen
dwalker

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is not for DI or OM - soak the balsa in amonia overnight - then bend it to the shape you want... let it dry and then glue the member in place. This is an old modeling technique and works quite well... but make sure you bend it beyond the intended arc - the wood will "relax" a bit once taken off the curved form.
Diguy145

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, marwen said that she had bad timing... dwalker, you are like 3 years too late... lol Good advise though... I might go try it just for kicks.
Alexandre25

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

use very thin balsa, i've done something similar but i have to admit it wasn't very resistant
Wallace05

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Bending balsa alternatives Reply with quote

admin wrote:
Try soaking and steaming the balsa. If that doesn't work then just use thinner balsa transfers CDG and laminate it together.

Hello, what about this?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Specialized Balsa Wood Discussion Site Forum Index -> Bridges & Towers All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: