Balsa Wood Dowels & Wheels
Exotic Balsa Wood Dowels and Wheels are Hand Crafted. With much experimentation, invention, and design we were able to manufacture the once impossible round balsa wood dowel. Balsa Wood dowels cannot be cut with normal dowel cutting equipment -- rather they have to be produced by hand. Dowels may be sanded with 150 to 400 grit sand paper in most cases during the finishing stage. Balsa can vary between 3# (foam weight) - 40# (oak weight) for pounds per cubic foot (lbs/cuft) but the most common densities are 8-16 pounds per cubic foot. Balsa dowels are used for fishing, jousting, towers, bridges, structures, rc models, balsa rods, and craft projects.
The only way to make dowels is one at a time -- nothing else works because balsa is such a lightweight material.
Include information about density in the message box at the end of this page:
- Light Balsa at (6-10 pounds per cubic foot), Medium Balsa at (10-14 pounds per cubic foot), & Heavy Balsa at (14-19 pounds per cubic foot) are all 40% extra.
- Extra Light Balsa at (6 or less pounds per cubic foot) & Extra Heavy Balsa at (19+ pounds per cubic foot) are 100% extra. Please note that Extra Light balsa is sometimes referred to as "Contest Grade" balsa because is used for ultra light airplane contests. It is usually discolored, very hard to find, very brittle, weak, and squishy.
- No preference as to a weight of balsa = no additional charge.
Discounts may be available for the following items: » view defect pictures
- B-grade balsa which is discolored is 10% off.
- Industrial Grade balsa which may contain pinholes, horizontal or vertical cracks, knots, pith from the center of the tree, or bark is 25% off.
- We also may have balsa in lengths of 24, 30, 39, 42, 45, 54, 60, 66, 72, and 96 inches balsa lengths available that we will price according to their length.