Balsa sheets are at least 1 inch wide and less than 1 inch in thickness. Balsa sheets are sometimes called balsawood sheets, balsa wood panels, balsa wood skins, and balsa single ply. We weigh our balsa sheets so if you need a specific density we should be able to find it for you. Balsa can vary between 3# (foam weight) - 40# (oak weight) for pounds per cubic foot (lbs/cuft) but the most common densities are 8-16 pounds per cubic foot. Balsa sheets are used for rc airplanes, sewing, decorations, laser projects, breakaway props, models, bridges, towers, laminates, ultra light balsa airplanes, surf boards, and for cutting kit parts.
Include information about size, density, and quality in the Order Notes message box at the end of this page:
- Extra Light Balsa at (6 or less pounds per cubic foot) is 100% extra.
- Light Balsa at (6-10 pounds per cubic foot) is 40% extra.
- Medium Balsa at (10-14 pounds per cubic foot) is 40% extra.
- Heavy Balsa at (14-19 pounds per cubic foot) is 40% extra.
- Extra Heavy Balsa at (19+ pounds per cubic foot) is 100% extra.
Extra Light balsa is sometimes referred to as "Contest Grade" balsa because is used for ultra light airplane contests. It is usually discolored, very hard to find, very brittle, weak, and squishy.
Please note any custom weight classification that is narrower than the above listed weight categories will increase the cost of the required weight classification.
No preference as to a weight of balsa = no additional charge.
*Grain classification if needed is 100% extra. » balsa grain classifications explained
* Balsa sheets larger than 4 inches in width may be laminated from 2 or more balsa sections. If you need a non-laminated balsa sheet let us know in the Order Notes below: Non laminated sheets 6 inches or larger are 100% extra and are very rare. Standard sheet widths 4 or smaller are approximate in width (+ or - 1/8 inch). If you need the sheets to be exact size or if you need the edges to be straight indicate that in the Order Notes below for a 20% service fee:
Discounts may be available for the following items: » view defect pictures
- B-grade balsa which is discolored is 10% off.
- Industrial Grade balsa which may contain pinholes, horizontal or vertical cracks, knots, pith from the center of the tree, or bark is 25% off.