Balsa craft sticks, strips, or balsa sticks are many names for sections of balsa that are less than 1x1 inch in width and thickness. Balsa wood sticks can be used for towers, bridges, structures, craft projects, RC airplanes, and models. Balsa has a high weight to strength ratio and can be very light weight. Balsa can vary between 3# (foam weight) - 40# (oak weight) for pounds per cubic foot (lbs/cuft) but the most common densities are 8-16 pounds per cubic foot.
Include information about density in the message box at the end of this page:
- Light Balsa at (6-10 pounds per cubic foot), Medium Balsa at (10-14 pounds per cubic foot), & Heavy Balsa at (14-19 pounds per cubic foot) are all 40% extra.
- Extra Light Balsa at (6 or less pounds per cubic foot) & Extra Heavy Balsa at (19+ pounds per cubic foot) are 100% extra. Please note that Extra Light balsa is sometimes referred to as "Contest Grade" balsa because is used for ultra light airplane contests. It is usually discolored, very hard to find, very brittle, weak, and squishy.
- No preference as to a weight of balsa = no additional charge.
*Grain classification if needed is 100% extra. » balsa grain classifications explained
Discounts may be available for the following items: » view defect pictures
- B-grade balsa which is discolored for 10% off.
- Industrial Grade balsa which may contain pinholes, horizontal or vertical cracks, knots, pith from the center of the tree, or bark are 25% off.
- We also may have balsa in lengths of 24, 30, 39, 42, 45, 54, 60, 66, 72, and 96 inches balsa lengths available that we will price according to their length. Lengths over 48 inches are more expensive and lengths shorter than 36 are less.
*Ask for special B-grade (discolored) practice sticks 1/8x1/8x36, 1/16x1/8x36, 3/32x3/32x36, and 1/16x1/16x36 inch at $0.18 each (when in stock) in the comment box below.
*Ask for broken or defective sticks (Industrial Grade) for 1/8x1/8x36, 1/16x1/8x36, 3/32x3/32x36, and 1/16x1/16x36 inch at $0.12 each (when in stock) in the comment box below.