Include information about density in the message box at the end of this page:
- Light Balsa at (6-10 pounds per cubic foot), Medium Balsa at (10-14 pounds per cubic foot), & Heavy Balsa at (14-19 pounds per cubic foot) are all 40% extra.
- Extra Light Balsa at (6 or less pounds per cubic foot) & Extra Heavy Balsa at (19+ pounds per cubic foot) are 100% extra. Please note that Extra Light balsa is sometimes referred to as "Contest Grade" balsa because is used for ultra light airplane contests. It is usually discolored, very hard to find, very brittle, weak, and squishy.
- No preference as to a weight of balsa = no additional charge.
*Grain classification if needed is 100% extra. » balsa grain classifications explained
Discounts may be available for the following items: » view defect pictures
- B-grade balsa which is discolored is 10% off.
- Industrial Grade balsa which may contain pinholes, horizontal or vertical cracks, knots, pith from the center of the tree, or bark is 25% off.
- We also may have balsa in lengths of 30, 39, 42, 45, 54, 60, 66, and 72 inches balsa lengths available that we will price according to their length.
||For Planed-sanded and callipered blocks, add 20% additional for labor. Un-sanded blocks are straight from the mill. Un-sanded blocks may have saw marks or band saw marks on a side or two from the milling operation and may not be square.
||All un-sanded blocks are usually at least the advertised length, width, and depth. Un-sanded blocks are occasionally + or -1/8 inch because of conversions from English to metric in some of the milling shops, but most of the time the measurements are somewhat close. If exact lengths, widths, or depths are crucial to your order, please specify this in the comment box and we will meet your needs.
Balsa Blocks or planks are 1x1 or larger chunks of balsa. Balsa can vary between 3# (foam weight) - 40# (oak weight) for pounds per cubic foot (lbs/cuft) but the most common densities are 8-16 pounds per cubic foot. We can also dimension the blocks to most any size. Balsa blocks are used for carving of decoys, statues, toys, industrial projects, airplane parts, and decorations.
Normally the biggest balsa blocks we get in are 4x4 un-laminated. If you require something larger than 4x4 un-laminated mention it in the message box below: For most balsa blocks larger than 4x4 we usually have to laminate from several smaller blocks to make the larger sizes. We use waterproof polyurethane glue with clean fitting glue joints.
We have the ability to laminate balsa blocks to most any size required. For example a 6x12x36 is small enough that we can dimension it smooth and square. Largest size that can be dimensioned is approximately 48 inch wide x 12 inch thick x any length. Larger blocks can be done but they will have polyurethane glue along all of the laminated seams. All laminated joints are smooth without any gaps and are made with waterproof glue. Include in the comment box below any laminated blocks that you will need quoted.